The young man was going to marry a beautiful girl. One day the girl said to him that the next day she would celebrate her birthday and invited him to her birthday party. The young man was eager to make her a present, so he went to a gift shop.
There he saw many beautiful things. Of all the things he particularly liked the vases. But they were very expensive, and as he had very little money, he had to leave the shop without buying anything. Making for the door he suddenly heard a noise: one of the vases fell on the floor and broke to pieces.
A brilliant idea came to his mind. He came up to the counter and asked the salesman to wrap up the broken vase he wanted to buy. The salesman got a little surprised but did what the young man had asked him to do. The young man took the parcel and went straight to the girl's place.
By the time he entered the room the guests had already gathered, Everybovaenjoyingjhjai
tha4ay", the youngnan told the girithHrteliad bougBTasmairpreseriObr her.
With these words he began to unwrap the parcel. Suddenly he got pale and said: "I'm afraid, I have broken it. There were so many people in the bus..." But when he unwrapped the parcel, he saw that the salesman had wrapped up each piece of the vase separately.
Out of the answers given below each question choose the appropriate one to bring about the main ideas of the text.
- What was the young man told about?
- a) Not to be late. b) He was invited to the birthday party,
- c) He was informed about the arrival of the guests.
- What did the young man go to the shop for?
- a) To buy the present for the girl, b) To look at the vase. c) To break the vase.
- What did he particularly like in the shop?
- a) He didn 't like anything. b) He liked the ring best of all. c) He liked the vases.
- What idea came to his mind?
- a) It was brilliant. b) It was very silly. c) It was very bad.
- Did he buy the vase?
- No, he didn't, because it was very expensive.
- b) Yes, he did, but it was broken. c) No, he didn't like it.
- Who had gathered at the girl's party?
- a) Unknown people. b) Her relatives. c) Her guests.
- Why did the young man get pale?
- Because he suddenly felt sick, b) Because he was a bad actor, c) Because he was a good actor.
- Did the girl understand anything?
- Yes, she did, because every piece had been wrapped separately.
- No, she didn't unpack the parcel.
- No,. she didn 'tpay any attention to the young man's present.